SHOW ME TELL ME
Pupils are regularly asked Tell Me questions in Part 1 of their Theory Test.
As part of the practical, part 2, car driving test, the examiner will ask you one:
- 'Tell me' question (where you explain how you'd carry out a safety task) at the start of your test before you start driving.
- 'Show me' question (where you show how you'd carry out a safety task) while you're driving.
You'll get one driving fault (referred to as a minor on the test report) if you get one or both questions wrong.
You'll fail your driving test if your driving is dangerous or potentially dangerous while you answer the 'show me' question.
Driving test 'tell me ' questions
1. Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working correctly before starting a jorney?
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. The vehicle should not pull to one side.
2. Tell me where you'd find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked?
Refer to the manufacturer's guide, the vehicle handbook, use a relaible pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when the tyres are cold,
Don't forget the spare tyre (if the the vehicle has one) and remember to refit the valve caps.
3. Tell me how you make sure that your head restraint is correctly adjusted so that it provides the best protection in the event of a crash?
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eyes or top of the ears and as close to the head as is comfortable.
Note: some restarints may not be adjustable.
4. Tell me how you'd check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road?
The tyres should have no cuts or bulges, have a minimum tread depth of 1.6mm across the central three-quarters of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre.
5. Tell me how you'd check that the headlights and tail lights are working? You don't need to exit the vehicle.
Explain how you'd operate the switch (turn on if necessary), then walk round the vehicle (as this is a 'tell me' question, you don't need to physically check the lights).
Tell me how you'd know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system?
A warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti-lock braking system.
7. Tell me how you'd check the direction indicators are working? You don't need to exit the vehicle.
Explain that you'd operate the switch (turn on the ignition if necessary), then walk round the vehicle (as this is a 'tell me' question, you don't need to physically check the lights).
8. Tell me how you'd check the brake lights are working on this car?
Explain that you'd operate the brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows or doors, or ask someone to help.
9. Tell me how you'd check the power-assisted steering is working before starting off on a journey?
If the steering becomes heavy, the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey, two simple checks can be made:
apply gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate, or,
alternatively, turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.
10. Tell me how you'd switch on the rear fog light(s) and expalin when you'd use it/them? You don't need to exit the vehicle.
Operate switch (turn on dipped heasdlights and ignition if necessary). Check warning light is on. Explain use.
11. Tell me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you'd know the main beam is on?
Operate switch (with ignition or engine on if necessary), check with main beam warning light (blue).
12. Open the bonnet and tell me how you'd check that the engine has sufficient oil?
Identify dipstick/oil level indidcator, describe check of oil level against the minimum and maximum markers.
Note: some cars, like the Mini, have no dipstick and the oil level is indicated on the onboard computerised display.
13. Open the bonnet and tell me how you'd check that the engine has sufficient engine coolant?
Identify high and low level markings on the header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap and describe how to top up to the correct level.
14. Open the bonnet and tell me how you'd check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid?
Identify reservoir, check the level against the high and low markings.
15. Open the bonnet and tell me how you'd check that you have sufficient windscreen washer fluid?
Identify the reservoir tank and make a visual check.
Note: if you're asked question 12, 13, 14 or 15, you'll need to open the bonnet and tell the examiner how you'd do the check.
Driving test Show me questions:
1. When its safe to do so, can you show me how to wash and clean the rear windscreen?
2. When its safe to do so, can you show me how to wash and clean the front windscreen?
3, When its safe to do so, can you show me how you'd switch on your dipped headlights?
4. When its safe to do so, can you show me how you'd set the rear demister?
5. When its safe to do so, can you show me how you'd operate the horn?
6. When its safe to do so, can you show me how you'd demist the front windscreen?
7. When its safe to do so, can you show me how you'd open and close the side window?
In answer to each question, you'll be expeted to accurately identify the component switch or device and demonstrate its use whilst driving the car.